There was a post over at Business Insider talking about “Google Buzz Is Brilliant. Like Ground-Breaking, Game-Changing Brilliant. Facebook Just Lost Half Its Value”, and I just have to say, that the points that they make are totally crap. Below are the points Jason made, and my comments towards them.
1. Google Buzz 1.0 is better than Facebook after six or seven years.
How is Google Buzz better? Its just like a different version of Twitter and Facebook combined. Looks like Google has copied those two sites.
2. Facebook’s history is one filled with stealing other people’s innovations and doing them better (i.e. Zuckerberg has stolen every idea Evan Williams and the Twitter team have released). How ironic now that Google has out “Facebooked” Facebook.
And I can say, Google is threatened because Facebook is slowly catching up on Google to be the number 1 website on the internet, and Google’s attempt at social networking in the past has failed. Another example is Google Knol – looks pretty much like a failed Wikipedia to me. And talking about theft, read point one again.
3. Google has an excellent privacy record and Facebook is a disaster. Most folks do not trust Zuckerberg and Facebook any more because of their privacy record (filled with lawsuits) and because they steal every good idea they see (i.e. Twitter’s innovations and FourSquare’s checking in).
Have you been reading the news in the last week? Google has been hammered with privacy issues and concerns – emails addresses are being shown to the public, same with entire contacts lists of people.
4. Google Buzz auto generates your network–this is MUCH better process than Facebook’s.
I don’t want people I don’t know in my network – so how is this better? I think Facebook “Add a Friend” is MUCH better.
5. Google Buzz is way faster than the sluggish Facebook–this is a HUGE advantage.
Buzz is not super quick either. It might be one microsecond faster then Facebook which isnt much. I am quite happy of the speed of Facebook too. It is also much quicker and easier to post a status update. Just visit Facebook.com and its there. Not like Gmail, where you have to login, wait to log in, then click on Buzz, then enter your update, then select who you want to read it, then hit submit… What sounds quicker to you?
6. Google Buzz puts relies and updates into your GMAIL as threads–this is BRILLIANT and a HUGE advantage.
Um… IF YOU USE POP3 – YOU ARE SCREWED! This was the main killer of why I turned Buzz off. I don’t want my social life to interfere with my Business life. So I don’t see how that is a full advantage.
Facebook is going to see their traffic get cut in half by Google Buzz.
Not really – people are already using Gmail. I think if Buzz had it own independent site, people will signup, using it for 30minutes and go back to Facebook, and no one will visit Buzz again
I have written heaps more reasons of why Google Buzz will be a FAIL compared to Facebook.