Yes, the title may sound a bit strange, but it’s true… you can turn your old mobile phone into a meal to help feed people in need across the country.
MobileMuster is a non-for-profit Government accredited mobile recycling program in Australia and is teaming up with OzHarvest.
For every mobile phone recycled until 28th February 2017, MobileMuster will donate a meal to OzHarvest. OzHarvest is Australia’s leading food rescue organisation, rescuing quality good surplus from more than 2000 business, supermarkets, restaurants, cafes, hotels and more.
Electronic waste, such as small gadgets and mobile phones is the fastest growing type of waste in Australia, with an expected 25 million old and unused mobile phones are just lying around homes.
By the end of February, MobileMuster is hoping to recycle 60000 mobile phones – that equates to 60000 meals provided to those who rely on food relief in Australia.
How to Get Involved – It’s Free
If you have an old mobile phone that you no longer need – recycle it. Simply drop it off (along with any accessories if you still have them) to your nearest mobile phone retail store, or post them to MobileMuster using a free recycling satchel that is available at Australia Post. Visit MobileMuster.com.au for your closest drop off point.
- There is 40 Million Tonnes of Electronic Waste in the world
- Australian’s produce an estimate weight of 25kg electronic waste each year
- 95% of materials used to manufacture mobile phones and accessories can be recovered
- $8-10 Billion Dollars of Food is wasted each year around the world
- 4 Million Tonnes of Food end up in landfills
- 35% of an average household bin in food
- 644000 people in Australia receive food relief each month – 1/3rd being children
- 87 Tonnes of food is saved from going to landfill and delivered to over 900 charitable agencies